Checklist for moving
Before you leave
Give your address change to:
- Post office.
- Charge accounts, Credit Cards.
- Subscriptions: notice requires several weeks.
- Friends and relatives.
At your bank:
- Transfer funds, arrange check cashing in new city.
- Arrange credit references.
Notify company of new location for coverages: Life, Health, Fire and Auto.
- Gas, light, water, telephone, fuel.
- Get refunds on any deposits made.
Medical, Dental, Prescriptions and Histories
- Transfer needed prescriptions, eyeglasses, X-rays.
- Obtain birth records, medical records, etc.
And don't forget to:
- Defrost your freezer and clean your refrigerator.
- Place charcoal around your home to dispel odors.
- Have appliances serviced for moving.
- Clean rugs.
- Clean and wrap clothes before moving.
- Check with a Moving Counselor about Insurance coverage, packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected payment.
- Plan for special car needs if you have an infant.
On moving day
- Carry enough cash or travelers checks to cover the cost of moving services and expenses until you make banking connections in your new town.
- Carry jewelry and documents yourself, or use registered mail.
- Plan for transporting your pets; they are poor traveling companions if they're unhappy.
- Double-check closets, drawers and shelves to be sure they are empty.
- Leave all the old keys that are needed by the new tenant or owner with your realtor or a neighbor.
At your new address
- Check on service of telephone, gas, electricity and water.
- Check the pilot lights on the stove, water heater, incinerator and furnace.
- Register your car within five days after arrival in your new state or a penalty may have to be paid when you get new license plates.
- Apply for state driver's license and have your new address place on the license.
- Register your children in school.
- Arrange for medical services, such as Doctors, Dentists, etc.